Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The diet

After the first seven months of working out showed a total weight loss of only fifteen pounds, I decided it was time to change my diet. In the past, I ate pretty much what I wanted, when I wanted. I had never counted calories, and didn't want to start. For years, I told myself that upping my exercise would increase my calorie expenditure, and that was all I needed. While I did lose some weight by doing just that, it was not nearly enough for me. After being honest with myself and admitting that my diet was pretty shitty, I went in search of something that would work for me.

After much reading and research, I finally settled on something I thought would work: the leangains diet. This method of periodic fasting was in line with the way I typically ate anyway, so it wouldn't be such a behavioral jolt. Having followed this now for several months, I can say that my views on dieting have undergone a complete 180 from where they were a year ago. I still eat food that I really enjoy, I just pay more attention to my caloric intake, and my nutrient ratios. My basic daily food goals are to be around 2250 calories, and eat 1g or more of protein per pound of body weight.

Since following this diet, I have lost an additional 29 pounds. Unless something changes, this "diet" will probably just become "the way I eat."

No comments:

Post a Comment